1. A breve aggiorneremo la piattaforma di Reboot per risolvere alcuni problemi con i plug-in, quindi chiediamo ancora un po' di pazienza, Lo staff di Reboot

WiiU [Guide] eMMC NAND dump (backup + restore)

Discussione in 'English Forums' iniziata da StandardBus, 21 Ago 2015.

1. StandardBus

StandardBus Staff Alan Staff

Iscritto:
    15 Dic 2014
    Like ricevuti:
    [​IMG]

Last update: 4 august 2016 - updated info about eMMC

The creation of an eMMC NAND dump on WiiU is useful to have a backup copy of the current console firmware status user data only.
    The WiiU use a NAND eMMC type chip (very similar to SD cards, except for the appeareance), so it's possible to easily create a copy of the memory content.
    Another WiiU internal memory stores the installed software and the WiiU operating system. Unfortunately, the eMMC on WiiU don't contain the firmware, as instead happen on 3DS'.
    I'll soon write a guide to hardmod the other NAND chip (Teensy 2.0++ required).
    The NAND content is encrypted, but this doesn't mean that we can't copy it anywhere for storage or write it back on the console anytime freely.

What can we do when we can read and write the eMMC NAND?
    We can create a "savestate" of the console stored data. This will allow soon to downgrade the console, restoring eMMC + firmware NAND data at the same time. The only limitation is that we'll can restore the console only to firmware of which we already own a NAND backup.
    For example, If my WiiU is on 5.4.0 and I own a 5.4.0 NAND backup... I can update to 5.5.0, see how it works, make an optional NAND backup of the 5.5.0 firmware and then return back to 5.4.0, simply by writing the 5.4.0 backup on the console. :arrowback: this will be possible after the publishing of our FULL Wii U hardmod. This guide explain how to do only a PARTIAL Wii U backup.

Seems fantastic, huh? Yeah, it is: you can defeat once for all the automatic updates that Nintendo shoots on every console connected to the web: Nintendo don't ask you if you want to update, they simply apply it. Having an eMMC + TSOP48 NAND backup on the PC allow everyone to remedy an unwanted system update... and eventually also can save you from brick.

NOTE:
    The WiiU has two NAND memories: one for the WiiU data and apps, and one for the vWii/Wii U system. The NAND used for the vWii will not be copied or restored with this procedure. Anyway, you can create a Wii NAND dump via software, by using this guide

But... isn't enough to format the console in order to go back to the factory firmware?
    Formatting a WiiU will delete only all user data, not the firmware updates. The system will remain updated.

I don't have a NAND backup, can I downgrade anyway?
    Actually, No. Maybe in the future, after the release of the IOSU hax. Access to IOSU kernel may allow users to downgrade using only old update files. (unverified)

Can I create a dump on a console and then restore it on another one (bricked, e.g.)?
    Not yet. Every dump is crypted with a unique per console key, and it contains specific information in order to make the system work on your single console. In order to allow NAND dump transfer from a console to another, we should find a way to decrypt the dump, extract the console-specific information from both bricked and working consoles, move the info from the corrupted NAND to the working one and then lock it back with the beneficiary console's keys.
    Isn't it more convenient making a backup when a console is in properly working state?

How to connect eMMC to PC

Needed:
    Soldering points on WiiU are big enough, because Nintendo use it as test points for the NAND.
    The mod consists on wiring up NAND test points to match on the SD adapter.
    Here is the schematic:
    [​IMG]

How to create the dump file

We've already connected the fake SD to the WiiU NAND testpoints as in the photo, but don't insert now the SD in the card reader. Ensure that the console is powered off, then proceed as follows:
    1. Insert the fake SD in a card reader, then plug the card reader to a PC (if it's not internal)
    2. Power on the console
    Who uses Windows should see a popup message that prompts to format the USB disk.
    For any reason: DON'T DO IT, or you will irreparably brick your console.

Create on your desktop an empty text file, this will be the eMMC dump container. You can also change the extension from .txt to .bak or .img to remember that is a backup file.
    Download and extract on your PC Win32 Disk Imager:

Once extracted, launch the executable Win32diskImager.exe
    [​IMG]
    1. Click on the folder button in order to select the empty file we previously created.
    2. Select the fake SD drive letter (it's the only one that Windows ask to format if you try to open from Windows explorer)
    3. Click on "Read" and allow the program to overwrite the empty file.
    The program will create a complete copy of the WiiU internal eMMC NAND memory, as if it were a normal SD card.
    The copy procedure lasts a few minutes, depending on your SD card reader speed and the WiiU eMMC memory size (the bigger the size, the longer the time).

OS X users can use the Disk Utility in order to create WiiU NAND dump, and Linux users can use dd from terminal. On Ubuntu there is also a utility called "Disks" which is perfect to copy entire disks: it acts as a dd graphical interface (launch "Disks", select the fake SD drive, click on the gear button and select "Create disk image". You will need administrator privileges).
    This same tools can be used to restore the firmware back on the console.

How to restore a NAND dump

[​IMG]
    Connect the turned off WiiU to your PC using fake SD method, exactly like you did in order to create the backup.
    Turn on the WiiU and launch Win32 disk imager on PC.
    1. Click on the folder button in order to select the file to restore
    2. Select the fake SD drive letter
    3. Click on "Write" and wait.
    This will delete the entire console firmware, and the backup will be written back on.

Ultima modifica: 4 Ago 2016
    A CHOWJ070, nodaorphen e nastys piace questo elemento.
  2. StandardBus

Iscritto:
    15 Dic 2014
    Like ricevuti:
    If there are grammatical errors in the guide, please report as well as the corrections to apply.
    Many thanks in advance, I hope that this translation is appreciated.
    I have intention to translate also other tutorials I've already written in Italian, so stay tuned!

Ultima modifica: 21 Ago 2015
  3. nodaorphen

nodaorphen Advanced Advanced User Advanced

Iscritto:
    23 Gen 2015
    Like ricevuti:
    good job! Alan:clapping::clapping::clapping: Reboot conquest world wide:thumbsup:

4. Moon Sarito

Moon Sarito Livello 1

Iscritto:
    30 Ott 2015
    Like ricevuti:
    Works with problem in NAND?, The Wii U is with Brick and appears Error 160-0103 shortly after the Wii U ? It is to fix?

5. StandardBus

Iscritto:
    15 Dic 2014
    Like ricevuti:
    @Moon Sarito When the error appeared the first time?
    I don't think this guide can help you. Anyway, we can pinpoint the problem.

6. Moon Sarito

Moon Sarito Livello 1

Iscritto:
    30 Ott 2015
    Like ricevuti:

This Error... Is there any way I can recover or reset the NAND?

7. ThePrivateUser

ThePrivateUser Livello 1

Iscritto:
    30 Lug 2018
    Like ricevuti:
    Italiano:
    Ciao, ho lo stesso problema di @Moon Sarito (Errore 160-0103), puoi ancora caricare il backup nand su di esso?

English:
    Hello, I have the same problem as @Moon Sarito (Error 160-0103) can you still load the nand backup on it?

8. jatin

jatin Livello 1

Iscritto:
    4 Mar 2018
    Like ricevuti:
    power on the wii u and doesn't show wii u menu or quick start menu it just shows transferred to wii u and the wii u logo 1 second and boom error code help

error code 160-0103 also

Sto caricando...

Condividi questa Pagina