1. A breve aggiorneremo la piattaforma di Reboot per risolvere alcuni problemi con i plug-in, quindi chiediamo ancora un po' di pazienza, Lo staff di Reboot

PSVita [Guide] How to replace the PSVita memory card with a microSD, HDD USB or a pendrive on PSTV

Discussione in 'English Forums' iniziata da StandardBus, 22 Mar 2017.

1. StandardBus

StandardBus Alan

Iscritto:
    15 Dic 2014
    Like ricevuti:
    [​IMG]
    Goal achieved: Thanks to the awesome job of TheFlow, the PSTV is finally able to use (almost) any USB esternal drive, acting as a PSVita memory card.
    Sony PSVita and PSTV are the unique two devices that make use of the inconceivably rare and expensive [Sony proprietary format] PSVita memory card, so finding another way to store data was necessary.
    Now every PSTV with firmware 3.60 max can store games, video, music and anything else on USB drives.

Basically, TheFlow has been able to enable the USB storage driver on the Vita system, that Sony intentionally left inactive when the PSTV system is powered on, but used from the recovery as an offline update method.
    Potentially, both PSVita and PSTV could read USB drives, but Sony has more interest selling overpriced memory cards.

It did not take long after the release of the new version of VitaShell 1.61 to see the first results of this hack. People have stopped using the PSVita memory card in favor of cheaper and way more capable USB drives:

[​IMG]
    On the net you can find also screenshots of people using 2TB drives on their PSTV.

What you need

• A PSTV with max system version 3.60 (PSTV with system between 3.61 and 3.63 are not supported, but all the new PSTV on sale have installed a firmware older than the 3.60)
    • A compatible USB drive
    Lista drive USB compatibili:
    • Kingston DataTraveler G4 (USB 3.0 pendrive)
    • Lexar JumpDrive S75 (USB 3.0 pendrive)
    • Generic card readers
    • If you know other compatible drives, please write down on comments the model and the manufacturer, we will add them to this list
    What to do

1. Find an usable USB HDD, microSD + card reader or pendrive

2. Format it in FAT32 or exFAT.
      NB: exFAT support files with size bigger than 4GB. FAT32 not. So prefer exFAT instead of FAT32.

I am forced to format the USB drive in order to use it on my PSTV?
      No, if you already have a FAT32 or exFAT filesystem and the USB drive already contain non-PSTV related files, you can use the drive without formatting it, but this will mean that you'll have both files and PSTV folder mixed inside it.

Drives with GPT partition table are supported?
      No, you should convert them to MBR.

Drives with NTFS filesystem are supported?
      No, the PSTV supports only FAT32 and exFAT filesystems

3. Power on the PSTV and activate HENkaku CFW.
      If you don't know how to activate HENkaku, then follow this guide: https://www.reboot.ms/forum/threads/henkaku.3095/ (in italian) or that other one (google translated)

4. Download the VitaShell .VPK by clicking on this link and install it on your PSTV
      If you don't know how to install .VPK on PSTV, then follow this guide: https://www.reboot.ms/forum/threads/installare-vpk-su-psvita-pstv.3096/ (in italian) or that other one (google translated)

5. Launch VitaShell from the PSTV menu

6. Press △ in order to access side menu, then select "Mount uma0:" and confirm with ✕.

[​IMG]
      - if everything goes right, the PSTV will mount your USB drive as uma0: showing you the available and the used space. Go straight to point 7.

[​IMG]

- If there are problems with the USB drive, you'll see an error message on the screen, that may vary depending on the problem.
      The error 0x80010016 means that the attached USB drive is not compatible with PSTV, or that you need an Y USB cable if you're trying to use an USB powered HDD, becouse it draws more current than the PSTV can give to.

[​IMG]

This message means that the PSTV is not able to detect anything plugged on the USB port. Again, if you are using an USB powered HDD you may need an Y USB cable.

[​IMG]
    7. OPTIONAL: Transfer games and savedata from PSTV to USB
      6.1) Press ✕ on "ux0:" to open the PSTV user data partition

7.2) press △ to access the side menu and select "Mark all", then confirm with ✕.

[​IMG]

7.3) press △ again and select "Copy".

[​IMG]

7.4) go to uma0 partition, you'll find the files and folders inside the USB drive.
      Press △ to access the side menu and press ✕ on "Paste" to start the file copy.
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the end of the copy, all ux0 files and folders should be also in uma0.

8. Once uma0 is mounted, the last step is to replace ux0 with uma0 in order to let the PSTV think that's the memory card.
      Press △ to access the side menu and then press ✕ on "Mount USB ux0:" to enable the USB drive.

[​IMG]

9. OPTIONAL: If you don't see the installed game bubbles on the home menu you only have to launch VitaShell, press △ and select "Refresh Livearea". Once done, you can close VitaShell.
    FAQ

• I activated uma0 as main storage, but after a console shut down everything disappeared. What should I do?
      This kind of software modification is not permanent, so you need to reactivate the USB drive after each reboot. Once you followed this guide, anyway, you can activate the USB drive following only the steps 3, 5, 6, 8 (in this sequence)
    • I attached my USB drive to Windows, but I can't see the PSTV folders
      In order to see PSTV folders on the USB drive you need to enable under Windows the function "show hidden and system folders".

Ultima modifica: 22 Mar 2017
  2. evilpaul

evilpaul Livello 1

Iscritto:
    8 Apr 2017
    Like ricevuti:
    Excellent article/post! I was looking for some info on using an external HDD as a larger, cheaper alternative to using pendrives for storage. The only thing I would add is that a GPT initialized drive will give the xxxx0016 error as well. If you're using a drive from the PS4 Pro, for instance you need to change that in addition to formatting the drive.

3. StandardBus

StandardBus Alan

Iscritto:
    15 Dic 2014
    Like ricevuti:
    Yes, sure, you should change the partition table from GPT to MBR if necessary, many thanks for your tip, I'll add it immediately to the guide! :blush:
    EDIT: The note to change from GPT to MBR was already on the guide, but thanks anyway for your feedback!

Sto caricando...

Condividi questa Pagina